Senior Chemical Engineer
Are you excited to be part of revolutionary technology and materials, and some of the best minds in the industry? At Element six (part of the DeBeers Group, the world leading Diamond company) you'll be at the forefront in synthetic diamond manufacture and its wide range of future technology applications.
This is an exciting opportunity which will see you as the point person in charge of the project within the Engineering Development team and will be accountable for the direction, co-ordination and completion of the project from R&D right through to Operations transfer.
We’re looking for a strong Chemist/ Chemical Engineer to aid in the development of chemical digestion processes for industrial diamond products sintered at ultra-high temperatures and pressures.
• You will be confident and knowledgeable in developing safe new chemical processes including working with Engineering and Operations teams in developing and procuring process hardware.
• In this role, you will be developing chemical treatment competency to ensure consistent product performance requirements are met using safe, economic and scalable processes which at a minimum comply with legislative requirements and moreover use appropriate best practices.
• You will be reporting to the Project Lead within the Engineering Development team and will be responsible and accountable for the direction, co-ordination and completion of the chemical development trials from R&D right through to Operations transfer.
• You will deliver on specific work packages taking on both a planning and a hands on Execution approach as required to successfully deliver improved chemical treatment processes.
• This successful candidate will be a strong team layer and used to working in an Agile project environment having commitment to timescales and demonstrating flexibility.
DUTIES AND TASKS
• Develop a detailed work package plan in line with the organisation’s needs and ensure progress.
• Work with Engineering Team and New Product Development teams to develop Innovative equipment and processes.
• Work in a Laboratory and manufacturing Environment to develop and assess new chemical processes on sintered diamond products.
• Carry out analytical measurements to determine the effectiveness of treatments.
• Regularly summarise data and report on progress
• Ensure project documents are complete, current and appropriately stored.
• Demonstrate confidence, skill and leadership in carrying out appropriate and safe dynamic risk assessments for developing acid based technologies.
• Work with SHEQ team to develop Safe Operating Procedures, carry out Risk & COSHH assessments, and assess MSDS.
• Ensure compliance with REECH and update product MSDS as required.
• Minimum of a degree in chemical engineering, chemistry or similar discipline (B.Eng, BSc.)
• Demonstrated experience in working with chemicals and more specifically acids and bases.
• Strong practical experimentation skills. Work in agile management practices where applicable (Agile and Scrum methodology).
• Good team player. Able to manage and motivate with self-awareness of behavioral impact on team and other stakeholders.
• Excellent time management and organisational skills with attention to detail and multi-tasking skills.
• Interpretation of complex data, reporting and presentation.
• Experience working with analytical equipment desired such as SEM and XRF.
• Experience working with suppliers to procure components.