The nature of the work is focused on research and development of products from conception to meet the needs of accounts and customers.
To perform scientific and technological investigation directed toward the acquisition of new knowledge. Research encompasses such endeavours as enlarging and systematizing the organizations knowledge base; understanding the limitations of technology and how to apply its capabilities; developing proof-of-concept prototypes; devising methods and tools for modelling, analysing and developing products and services.
Utilizes engineering knowledge and applies research towards the development and design of new products and processes
The Chemical Engineer is a member of the Operations Team and reports to the Managing Director. The Chemical Engineer is UK Nationwide based and extensive travel to other group locations, customers, suppliers and training venues is required.
The role also requires the Chemical Engineer to create and maintain effective relevant liaisons and collaboration with other colleagues and managers across other departments, locations and functions of the Company and also external customers and suppliers.
Education & Qualifications
- Bachelor’s Degree in chemical or relevant industry
- Chartered Engineer with Engineering Council
- Experience in COMAH top tier operations
- At least 10 years industrial processing plant experience, responsible for carrying out Chemical/Explosive plant design and maintenance activities (Not maintenance activities)
- Significant experience in process hazard analysis and development of systems through to demonstration of tolerable risk
- Work independently with minimal guidance
- Good communication, influencing skills
- Good problem solving and deliver solution, good analysis and decision making
Product Development/ Commercialisation/ Production:
- Act as a flexible supporting technical resource to identify and alleviate potential manufacturing, efficiency or costing concerns.
- Support commercialisation and initial production of products working closely with collaborative teams to ensure the product meets the customer expectations.
- Ensure consistency in materials, construction and production techniques that will provide product integrity across the manufacturing base.
- Lead new initiatives in collaboration with other teams
- Ensure proper process / product quality is maintained on the product.
- Facilitate production trials and follow key projects into production start-up as needed.
- Hold regular meetings with relevant teams on product and project related activities.
- Responsible for understanding and working within best practice guidelines
- Collaborate with colleagues in the use of best practice, design for manufacturing / environment guidelines.
- Work closely and communicate often with Engineers to obtain consistency in technical, development and production across the site.
- Lead assigned chemical projects.
- Conduct various Technical Training programs through using in-house capabilities and leveraging capabilities.
- Participate in regular product related conference calls and meetings
- Join / conduct monthly Chemical Engineer meeting to communicate with other Engineering team members with particularly reference to experience / information sharing
- Act as mentor to other Engineers to better prepare them for future growth and challenges.