EHS / Process Safety Manager
EHS / Process Safety Manager. £65 to 80,000PA + excellent benefits
Norther Home Counties /Greater London Speciality and Commodity Chemicals
Our client is a FTSE 100 specialty chemicals company with a market capitalisation of over £6bn. It is a leader in sustainable technologies, underpinned by science and with a reputation for world class innovation. The group is highly profitable, but it believes that performance should not be measured by profit alone – it is also about running the business in the most sustainable way. Founded over 100 years ago, our client employs over 10,000 people with operations in over thirty countries worldwide.
The EHS Manager is responsibility for Environmental Health and Safety (EHS) at one of our client’s most significant top tier COMAH businesses that employs nearly 900 people in the South East and produces very high value speciality and commodity materials from natural sources. The primary objectives are to provide the business with clear strategic direction and continuously improve EHS performance whilst ensuring business compliance with its parent company’s standards in addition to the external regulatory requirements associated with the operation of high hazard operations (COMAH); ensuring all EHS programs, procedures, training, work practices and controls are effectively implemented.
The incumbent will be expected to work at both UK sites close to London and will also be expected to travel overseas on occasions.
- To deliver continuous and sustainable improvements in safety and environmental performance.
- To provide exceptional EHS leadership to business personnel and especially EHS team professionals
- Provide a clearly defined EHS management system, to identify and define the processes and procedures required by regulation and Group EHS to protect the health and safety of employees, subcontractors, customers and the environment, ensuring global alignment.
- Define the EHS competency framework to which employees should be working to, ensuring personnel are fully aware of risks associated with their work environment, in line with the above and globally aligned.
- Ensure that adequate training is set up (e-learning and workshop, where appropriate) in line with the competency framework.
- Provide an enhanced management system for high risk areas including Chemical Exposure Management), with relevant guidance and training for Operational Team to adhere to.
- Drive the effort to embed Behavioural Standard in the business’s culture and ethos.
- Lead an effective audit program to include identification of breaches to company policies and correction of “at-risk” conditions and/or behaviours. Introduce a regime of regular inspections and monitoring as part of compliance verification using relevant Subject Matter Experts (SMEs).
- Working with the Operational Management team, implement programs and processes that increase overall employee development, engagement and retention in the area of EHS.
- Ensure a robust Change Management system in place to capture all safety related risks and associated controls to ensure layers of protection are maintained.
- Support the Capital Projects Delivery process in EHS matters to ensure all projects are designed, executed, commissioned and eventually handed over to routine operation with the requirement to meet and exceed all internal and external EHS requirements fully met.
- Demonstrate strong leadership skills in driving accountability with the Operational teams through effective communication to ensure compliance as a minimum, but also drive encourages excellence in the area of EHS.
- Work closely with global EHS Regional Leads to embed the Divisional EHS Strategy. Ensure ongoing interaction with Group EHS and other Divisional EHS colleagues to ensure global alignment and sharing of best practice and learning.
- Member or Fellow of professional body with appropriate professional qualification (e.g. IOSH, CMIOSH, IChemE)
- Strong knowledge and experience of working in an Engineering, Chemical and/or Pharmaceutical environment
- Proven experience in a Leadership role.
- Demonstrable experience in the application of EHS management systems.
- Strong proven experience in the supervision/management of professional and administrative staff.
- Strong background in Process Safety/PSM/IH and/or COMAH and/or IH is a benefit.
- The successful candidate will need to be able to demonstrate their competency levels of our Client’s key leadership competencies
- Significant experience of process development and process engineering within a COMAH environment .Credible and reliable insight into the inherent and fundamental hazards and risks associated with processes and unit operations
Interested and suitably qualified candidates should forward a CV and a brief covering letter to Mark Stracey at Mark Stracey Recruitment or call for 01303 812433 for an initial confidential discussion. Email firstname.lastname@example.org
Mark Stracey Recruitment trades as both an Employment Agency and Employment Business