Graduate Applications Engineer, Formulated Products
Available position Applications Engineer I
Employment basis Full-Time, Permanent
Location Hammersmith, London, UK
Start date September 2018
Salary range: Competitive package
PSE is the world's leading supplier of Advanced Process Modelling technology and related model-based engineering and innovation services to the process industries. We help our customers to apply advanced process models based on our gPROMS platform technology. This enables them to explore the process decision space rapidly, reduce uncertainty and risk and make better, faster and safer design and operating decisions through deeper understanding of their processes.
PSE is expanding rapidly and currently employs approximately 150 staff engaged in product development, software development, client consulting services, sales and marketing.
PSE have a Formulated Products business unit, which includes Life Sciences, Agrochemicals, Food & Beverage and Consumer Packaged Goods. PSE has developed some unique software and consulting services specifically for these markets and developed strong relationships with global multi-national 'household names'. The customer base includes Pfizer, Eli Lilly, Procter & Gamble, Merck and the FDA and within EMEA this includes AstraZeneca, Roche, Danone, Nestle, and Syngenta.
The Applications Engineer role is a varied position which involves working with our product development team, communicating with our clients on the technical aspects of a project and applying gPROMS FormulatedProducts for a wide variety of applications. There is also an opportunity to become a Chartered Engineer.
Your duties and responsibilities will include:
- Help existing and potential customers apply PSE’s mechanistic modelling tools to industrial cases
- Able to support customers in their application of the products and work with the sales team to deliver growth
- Development and delivery of hands-on workshops to existing and potential customers
- Managing post-sales customer interaction to enable growth
- Support of existing customers in their application of PSE products via the PSE Helpdesk
- Product enhancement; identification and tracking of bugs encountered while working on customer applications.
- Gathering of requirements, user feedback and enhancement requests from customers and prospects to provide input into product roadmaps.
- Work with product experts and customers to develop supporting materials of (video) tutorials of workflows involving modelling and experimentation.
- Preparation and delivery of presentations, software demos and generic training material.
- Development of success stories for customer presentations to PSE and external events.
- Business development and lead generation through presenting at and attending events, trade shows, consortia meetings, webinars etc.
- Pro-actively instigate new discussions within accounts and prospects to enable PSE to understand and discover customer goals and challenges relevant to opportunities for PSE.
Required education and skills/experience:
- Master’s or PhD in Chemical, Biochemical, Pharmaceutical or Mechanical Engineering or a related discipline
- Experience of carrying out first-principles modelling
- Ability to understand customer requirements, build relationships and focus on generating commercial value.
- Ability to take on challenges and work independently as well as in a team.
- Good presentation and communication (oral and written in English language) skills.
- Ability to prioritise scheduled tasks and manage unexpected problems and commercial needs.
- Experience with gPROMS®, SPEEDUP®, ACM®, Dymola® or another equation-oriented modelling tool is advantageous but not essential
- Experience analyzing experimental data is beneficial, particularly if it involves model validation.
- Programming (FORTRAN, C, C++) and CFD/DEM experience is helpful, but not necessary.
- Knowledge of the formulated products industries (particularly pharmaceuticals and food) and appreciation of the manufacturing processes typically employed in the manufacture of formulated products is of benefit.
We offer you:
- Offices near the Hammersmith stations
- Flexible, relaxed environment working with a friendly team
- 26 Holidays per year plus bank holidays
- Company pension
- Medical insurance
- Group life assurance
- Professional fees, professional books reimbursed
- Internal and External training and career paths
- Regular team events
- Free fruit, toast, coffee, tea and biscuits
- Cake for your birthday
- Childcare vouchers
- Cycle to work scheme