National Grid’s world class liquid natural gas terminal on the Isle of Grain in Kent is the leading facility of its kind in the UK, supplying up to twenty per cent of the UK’s demand. As an independent operator, we connect a high-volume, reliable supply to Europe’s biggest customers. Working at our 600-acre site means taking on responsibility for over one million cubic metres of tank space and a ‘best-in-class’ safety record.
About the role
This is an exciting opportunity for a Terminal Technician to carry out on-site maintenance and configuration for all control system equipment associated with the LNG importation Terminal. Grain LNG has been expanding over the last 12 years to become the UK’s foremost LNG importation terminal, there are numerous opportunities to expand from this role both within the systems team or into other areas of the business.
Within this role, you will focus on the maintenance, availability, security and modification of terminal control systems.
- Maintain control system equipment associated with the LNG importation terminal. (Planned maintenance, defects and project activities).
- Complete maintenance on control system equipment on the installation to ensure compliance with LNG Maintenance policy.
- Ensure full and detailed records are maintained on system changes.
- Ensure availability of all safety and process critical systems.
- Contribute to projects, investigations and audits (internal and external to the site).
- Work with and supervise contract personnel undertaking project or maintenance works.
- Carry out and complete work unsupervised and in potentially remote locations (within site boundary).
- Where required the Technician (maintenance) will participate in a call out rota for emergency call out and site export.
- Liaising with internal and external stakeholders.
- Asset value of current installation £1 billion.
- Control System Technicians supervise works of up to 5 contract personnel and regularly liaise with external bodies.
You will be educated to minimum of ONC or equivalent skills, however, competency and capability may be considered. An HNC or equivalent is desirable. Apprentice trained with significant, post apprenticeship control systems experience in the pharmaceutical or petro-chemical environment, and experienced in TCP/IP networking, firewall configuration and domain administration will be advantageous. Control Systems Technician should be able to demonstrate and have a good understanding of the following areas, which includes the principles and applied applications:Field control and instrumentation.
- Stand Alone PLC’s, SCADA and DCS systems.
- Safety Systems programmable Emergency Shutdown, HIPPS and Fire & Gas detection systems.
- Networking – TCP/IP, Switch and Firewall configuration, ControlNet, Profibus, Modbus and Ethernet.
- Microsoft Windows - Including W7 and Server 2003 onwards.
- Industry standards including, COMAH, ATEX, DSEAR, EMMUA 191, BS EN 61508, BS EN 61511 & UKAS.
- Cyber Security – Secure Industrial Control System (ICS) fundamentals.
You will have customer orientation and strong inter personal skills; a comprehensive and detailed understanding of gas installation plant and process machinery; and an aptitude for team working and harmonious working between all staff, (across and between shift and day workers)
Who we are
At National Grid, we don’t just ask our people to deliver to the highest standards. We also support them to be the best they can be. Accredited training programmes and personal development courses are a part of life here. We value and encourage diversity of thought, whatever your background. By creating an inclusive, switched-on workforce, we drive performance and deliver excellence. Which is exactly what we need to achieve our vision of creating sustainable energy solutions, for today and tomorrow.
The closing date for this vacancy may change, therefore, we encourage candidates to submit their applications as early as possible and not to wait until the published closing date. National Grid’s recruitment periods can and may vary. We reserve the right to remove this advert or close it to further applications at any point during the recruitment process.