Senior Process Engineer
Cabot Carbon Ltd based in Barry, South Wales, are looking for a Senior Process Engineer. A broad role, that requires a high level of technical knowledge and practical application of solving problems on operating plants with a good working knowledge of safety and process safety requirements we would expect the ideal candidate to be driven with a high level of attention to detail, possessing excellent critical reasoning and problem solving skills. The position offers direct support to the Operations department to plant issues and driving and improving the site operational (manufacturing) performance through the use of continuous improvement tools and mindset. We would expect the ideal candidate to have excellent interpersonal and communication skills with a collaborative mindset. For the right candidate we anticipate a salary of at least £50k per annum.
- Take ownership for the process engineering within the site hydrogen plant / utilities area and/or the site hydrochloric absorption and desorption plant.
- Promote safety as the number one priority. Provide leadership to encourage a safety first environment at all times, and take actions which demonstrate continuous improvement with respect to health, safety including process safety and the environment. Ensure compliance with UK legislative and site SH&E requirements
- Take leadership for driving continuous improvement across the other engineers and the site manufacturing plants that improve the site OEE. Identify opportunities in specific plant area and implement the changes using small team support or small capital projects.
- Excellent problem solving skills and able to coach and lead others in identifying root cause(s) and implementing solutions. Ability to apply these skills outside process engineering problem. Able to manage complex data and have ability in applying statically techniques.
- Providing effective technical advice to other process engineers and internal customers e.g. maintenance team. Ensure plant integrity and process safety not compromised.
- Take ownership for developing and implementing equipment, procedure and process changes including the design and implementation of improvement projects, and participation in Hazard Operability Studies
- Support and assist in the design, procurement, installation and commissioning of existing process improvements and new equipment to support new product development and commercialization
- Provide technical support to all process engineers, and identify any training or professional development needs and work with more junior engineers in a coaching/mentoring capacity to further develop their own capabilities.
- Participation in capital project scope, design, equipment selection and pre-start up safety reviews to ensure safety, quality, operability and energy efficiency are considered.
- Strong Process Safety Management back ground and have ability to lead and participate in HAZOP and process safety reviews to support Management of Change (MOC) and Plant area safety reviews.
- Take ownership for the management of the MOC database and ensuring compliance to corporate MOC requirements. Take responsibility and be part of the PSM forum, providing input around the MOC system.
- Take responsibility for any other reasonable duties as required.
- Excellent critical reasoning skills and problem solving techniques (e.g. Kepner-Tregoe, Six Sigma tools)
- SH&E - Knowledge of Safety & Environmental standards, Process Safety management and behavioural based safety
- Knowledge of statistical process control
- Technical knowledge of hydrogen manufacturer (ideally natural gas reforming), handling of flammable gases and corrosive chemicals under pressure and elevated temperatures.
- Degree in Chemical Engineering or equivalent
- Continuous Improvement background and knowledge of techniques
- Experience in safety studies (HAZOP& PHA) and risk assessment
- High level of computer literacy, Microsoft suite and statistical analysis software (e.g. JMP)
Founded in 1882, Cabot Corporation (NYSE: CBT) is a global specialty chemicals and performance materials company, headquartered in Boston, Massachusetts. The company is a leading provider of rubber and specialty carbons, activated carbon, inkjet colorants, cesium formate drilling fluids, fumed silica, aerogel and elastomer composites.
We are a successful global manufacturer who prides ourselves on delivering in all the markets that we serve, best particularly in safety, quality and innovation; employee, customer and community satisfaction; and shareholder return. We strive for excellence in everything we do, through: Highly motivated employees, a values-based organization, surpassing customers' needs and earning their admiration, expanding our use of our core technologies.
The Barry site is part of the Fumed Metal Oxide Business within the Performance Chemicals Segment of Cabot Corporation, and has an ‘over-the-fence’ relationship with Dow Corning who is both a key supplier and customer. As a Senior Process Engineer you would be joining a successful Engineering team and play an integral part of driving continuous improvement across site to an operational plant.
You would benefit from working Monday to Thursday core hours (0830 – 1645) with finish time of 4pm on Fridays, working one week in 8 on call providing plant support.
Cabot offers a competitive salary plus on call allowance, an active employee development program, pension scheme, private medial cover, 26 days holidays plus other local benefits.