Shift Manager - Petrochemical refinery
Haltermann Carless is the leading European refiner and supplier of high performance speciality hydrocarbons, advanced automotive fluids and speciality chemicals. We have a vacancy for a Shift Manager, based at our Harwich Refinery.
This is an exciting challenge for the right person as the post of Shift Manager is a critical one for our operation. As one of five shift managers responsible for a team of seven other employees working a continental 12hr shift pattern, you will be completely responsible for the safe and effective running of the operation out of hours when you are in charge.
Main responsibilities include:
- Day to day management of the team ensuring that you achieve the production plan, achieve quality standards and minimise operating costs.
- Ensuring that safety is paramount and that the team adhere to our stringent safety standards in all aspects of the work.
- Ensuring that all team members maintain competency via the competency management system; monitoring training progress, assessing competency and carrying out annual performance reviews.
- Taking a proactive approach to problems with production and maintenance and that effective liaison is maintained with all support functions to ensure effective teamwork across the Operation.
- Ensuring that compliance with all legislation and quality standards is achieved and maintained. This includes adherence to the COMAH safety report, the ISO standards applicable, and all internal procedures developed to maintain quality and safe working.
- Maintaining high standards of house-keeping and taking a proactive approach to continuous improvement.
- Raising incident reports and initiating action as appropriate.
- Assuming overall site responsibility, including implementing emergency procedures, outside day work hours.
- Undertaking project work as required.
To be effective in this role you will need:
- A ‘can do’ attitude with lots of enthusiasm and a desire to get things done.
- To be an effective decision maker, capable of balancing the needs of SHE – QA requirements with operational demands and being able to take control in a crisis with a clear plan for action to deal with any issues that arise.
- A minimum of three years’ experience in a refinery / process plant, preferably at a COMAH top-tier site.
- Ability to manage under pressure and prioritise tasks to achieve goals.
- Proven management and leadership skills, ideally honed in a unionised environment. Excellent communicator. A well organised and motivated self-starter.
- Good analytical skills and a structured approach to problem solving.
- PC skills to cover a range of basic software applications, SAP experience would be a definite advantage.
- Previous experience for SHE –QA issues.
- Good level of education, preferably a chemical or process engineering degree but relevant experience could be as useful. A Nebosh certificate or similar would be useful.
- A flexible approach to work, willing to cover on overtime when necessary and attend training courses.
It would be useful to have:
- Some knowledge of risk management and permit systems
- Broad knowledge of health and safety and environmental legislation
- Incident management experience
- A Nebosh certificate or similar.
In return we offer a good salary of Circa £45k which is inclusive of shift allowance, a bonus system, healthcare provision, a contributory pension scheme, and life assurance scheme. If you are interested in applying please send a CV and covering letter stating how you fit the role together with your salary expectations via the Apply Button.