About Our Client
Hanson UK produce aggregates (crushed rock, sand and gravel), ready-mixed concrete, asphalt, cement and cement related materials. Hanson UK are part of the wider HeidelbergCement Group, which has leading global positions in aggregates, cement and concrete. Hanson UK is split into four business lines, aggregates, concrete, asphalt and cement. Together, they operate around 300 manufacturing sites and employ over 3,500 people.
Based in Ketton, near Stamford, Hanson Cement Ketton is one of the largest cement plants in the UK and manages the production process from cradle to grave, beginning at the quarry producing the rock, to the manufacturing and finally shipping out cement to the customer. Our client have an unrivalled product range, with a large proportion going into some of the country's biggest construction projects, including Crossrail and many of the iconic buildings in Canary Wharf.
Duties and Responsibilities:
- Reporting directly into the Operations Manager, the successful applicant will need to be an incredibly self-starting proactive Engineer.
- The Kiln Engineer will need to have a full understanding of the cement manufacturing process to understand what truly goes on in the heart of the kiln, and will hold full responsibility for tracking the efficiency of the manufacturing process.
- Due to the Technical scope of this role, an understanding of Mechanical Engineering would be beneficial to this role in order to enhance the interdepartmental relationships between the operations, engineering and laboratory functions through involvement and leading operational excellence projects.
- Monitor and optimise the kiln line system from raw materials to clinker storage, power costs, fuel consumption and alternative fuels, to ensure maximum utilisation and performance of the process equipment.
- Improve the operating efficiency of the kiln and associated equipment - to include reduction of air usage and false air, reduction of electricity and fuels, increasing alternative fuels, increasing alternative raw material consumption, reduction of water usage, whilst also diagnosing delays in manufacturing operations and take appropriate actions to restore and correct operating procedures.
- Gather process information relating to kiln operations - collate and analyse this information to monitor downtime in the kiln and associated equipment. To include information from operational SOP's and to drive improvements together with the day and shift operational teams through the implementation of process improvements.
- Design and implement progressive, costed and planned improvements to kiln efficiency's; to include kiln inspections and associated studies.
- To monitor and make viable suggestions for improved kiln performance with respect to product quality to include monitoring of process parameters and the effects on finished products through effective liaison with other departments.
- Supervisory experience would also be beneficial for this role as the Kiln Engineer will deal with direct reports as well as stand in for Shift Managers and the the Operations Manager where appropriate and the role will provide opportunities for development.
The Successful Applicant
- Educated to degree level (or equivalent) in Chemistry, Engineering or Process discipline
- Required background in process or materials manufacturing.
- Minimum 5 years' experience in the cement manufacturing industry.
- Preferable NEBOSH certificate qualified and ability to actively participate in site safety activities.
- Proven track record across health & safety, process & continuous improvement.
- Knowledge of manufacturing improvement techniques TPM, OEE and Kaizen.
- Strong leadership and communication skills.
- Natural problem solver.
- Tenacious, Solutions-driven (Creative, innovative).
What's on Offer
Competitive salary is on offer for the successful candidate.