Policy Officer (2 vacancies)
1 day left
- Full Time
Policy Officer (2 vacancies)
Location: Rugby or London, UK
Annual Salary: Circa £25,000 (plus London weighting if applicable)
IChemE (Institution of Chemical Engineers) is the global professional membership organisation for chemical engineers and process engineers.
With a membership exceeding 44,000 members in over 120 countries, and offices in the UK, Australia, New Zealand, Singapore and Malaysia; IChemE aims to be the organisation of choice for chemical engineers. We promote competence and a commitment to best practice, advance the discipline for the benefit of society and support the professional development of our members. We are the only organisation licensed to award Chartered Chemical Engineer and Professional Process Safety Engineer status.
We are looking for two enthusiastic policy professionals to join our policy team. We are looking for a Policy Officer (BioFutures) and a Policy Officer (Energy Centre). Please note that the division of work between the two roles is indicative only and will be revisited following a review of the skill sets of the successful candidates.
Policy Officer (Biofutures)
The Policy Officer (BioFutures) role focuses on developing IChemE's new policy and engagement strategy with the biochemical engineering sector. You will coordinate a review of IChemE's offerings in the area, draft policy recommendations and support the IChemE member volunteer steering group to deliver this project. You will be the staff interface with IChemE’s UK Research Committee and you will engage with members and external stakeholders on IChemE’s technical roadmap, Chemical Engineering Matters.
Key responsibilities of the Policy Officer (BioFutures) include:
- Coordination and support for the BioFutures project, a programme of work focusing on skills, careers, and engagement with SMEs in biotechnology and biochemical engineering
- Leading engagement with members and external stakeholders around IChemE’s technical strategy roadmap, Chemical Engineering Matters
- Heading up IChemE’s research and innovation policy work through its UK Research Committee
Policy Officer (Energy Centre)
The Policy Officer (Energy Centre) role chiefly supports the IChemE Energy Centre, a forum for the process engineering community to provide decision makers around the world with expert advice on energy issues. In addition, you will lead IChemE's work on diversity and support its policy contributions on Brexit.
Key responsibilities of the Policy Officer (Energy Centre) include:
- To support the IChemE Energy Centre & Technical Policy Manager with the day-to-day activities of the Centre, including liaising with the Board and Leadership Forum, responding to consultations & requests for evidence, and ensuring that it’s green and white papers are delivered in a timely manner.
- Leading the implementation of the Diversity and Inclusion (D&I) Progression Framework developed by the Royal Academy of Engineering across IChemE's activities and helping members to improve the diversity of their workplaces
- Supporting IChemE's working group on Brexit to help the chemical engineering community realise the best possible outcome from the UK's decision to leave the EU.
Both roles sit within IChemE’s policy team. You will be liaising with scientists and engineers, academics and industrialists, government and other institutions on a broad range of topics related to chemical and process engineering.
Both roles would suit a recent graduate or early career professional passionate about policy and with a desire to really make a difference. You will need a bachelor’s degree or above in a relevant discipline and ideally have a science or engineering background.
Due to IChemE’s international nature, both positions require a willingness to work flexibly and to engage in business discussions outside of normal working hours. The successful candidates will be based at either our Rugby or London office and will be required to travel between the two locations and to stakeholders.
Both roles are full-time based on 37.5 hours per week.
Starting salaries will be circa £25,000 per annum (depending on experience) plus benefits which includes a very generous pension scheme and flexitime. London weighting will be applied to any successful candidate that is based at our London office. Only candidates eligible to work in the UK will be considered.
To apply; please provide a CV and a cover letter stating clearly which role it is you are applying for. Please highlight your experience against the areas listed above and why you think you are the ideal candidate for the role. To request a copy of the full job description or to formally apply for the position, please email our HR team, email: firstname.lastname@example.org
(Please note that applications sent without a cover letter will not be reviewed. If you do not indicate which role you are applying for then it will be assumed that you are applying for both.)
The closing date for all applications is close of business Tuesday 28 February 2017.
For more details about this and other vacancies at IChemE, visit www.icheme.org/jobs
Apply for Policy Officer (2 vacancies)
Already uploaded your CV? Sign in to apply instantly